SOBA is the Japanese name for buckwheat. It usually refers to thin noodles made from buckwheat flour, or buckwheat and wheat flours. This recipe is a simple stir-fry noodle packed full of flavoured and vegetables. You can enjoy this dish hot or cold, perfect as on the go/out of office lunch.
INGREDIENTS – Serves 2
- 2 portions of Soba noodles
- 3 tablespoons raw cashews, peanuts or almonds – dry roasting then crush to smaller pieces
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil or extra vigin olive oil
- 200 g mushrooms (Chestnut mushrooms) or 5 large mushrooms or fresh shiitake mushrooms – slice into thick pieces
- 3 spring onions, sliced on the angle
- Half a head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 250 g green beans, chopped to bite size
- Coriander – small handful roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce or tamari
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
Tangy Tamarind Sauce
- 3 tablespoons of tamarind paste, or more/less to your taste
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried chilli powder, or more depend on how spicy you would like it to be
- 7 tablespoon of hot water
TO MAKE YOUR NOODLES
In a frying pan/wok medium to high heat, toast the cashews (or almonds/peanuts) for a few minutes, tossing every now and then until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Add the coconut oil to the same pan/wok and turn down heat to medium. Fry the mushrooms (don’t overcrowd the pan or they will steam) for a few minutes until nicely browned on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside in a large bowl and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
In the same pan/wok, combine all the ingredients for the tamarind sauce and let them simmer for 5 minutes with lid on.
Meanwhile, cook the buckwheat noodles in plenty of boiling water (according to pack instructions), drain and rinse with cold water.
Put the noodles into a large bowl with the spring onions and mushrooms and toss with the sesame oil (or extra virgin olive oil) to prevent the noodles from sticking.
Add the broccoli and green beans to the tamarind sauce and let them cook in the sauce for 5 minutes, lid on.
Add the tamarind vegetables to the noodles and toss everything together.
TO SERVE YOUR NOODLES
Serve hot or cold with toasted cashews and lime wedges.